- 2 (20oz) packages Olivia’s Organics cubed butternut squash
- 1 green apple – peeled and thick sliced
- 1 small yellow onion - chopped
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon - divided
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Optional – ½ cup of milk, cream or dairy alternative (rice/almond milk)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the cut butternut squash, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, cumin and a ½ teaspoon of the cinnamon. Toss well to coat the squash. Spread out on a large baking sheet and place into the oven. Roast for 30 minutes until soft, stirring once.
- In the same bowl, combine the apple, onion and carrots with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and a ½ teaspoon of the cinnamon. Toss well to coat. Spread out onto a second baking sheet and place into the oven along with the squash. Roast for 20 minutes until soft, stirring once and watching so the apple doesn’t burn.
- Remove pans from oven when the squash and carrots are tender. Add all the roasted ingredients and the chicken broth to a large pot. Season with the chili powder and remaining ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth, or let cool slightly and transfer to a blender to puree.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. The soup will be thick, hearty and delicious as is. For added richness, stir in ½ cup of milk, cream or dairy-free milk (rice, almond). Serve warm.