- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage – casing removed
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 3 carrots - chopped
- 3 Olivia’s Organics celery stalks - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup lentils
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (5oz) package Olivia’s Organics Baby Spinach or Baby Kale - chopped
- Salt and pepper - to taste
In a large pot, add the olive oil and cook the sausage, breaking it up into small pieces. Add the onion, carrots and celery, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the cumin, smoked paprika, red pepper and Italian seasoning.
Rinse and inspect the lentils and add to the pot along with the vegetable broth and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and continue cooking for 30 minutes. Add water or additional broth if mixture is too thick. Add the greens and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with your favorite crusty bread.