Yields: 2 1/2 quarts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium carrots - diced
- 2 Olivia’s Organics celery stalks - diced
- 1 small red onion - diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic - minced
- 1 medium potato - peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme - chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 to 10 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (11oz) container of Olivia’s Organics Power Blend (or any Olivia’s greens)
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- Small piece Parmesan cheese rind or 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the potato and cook another 5 minutes while stirring often.
- Season vegetables with salt, pepper and thyme. Add the broth and greens to the pot and stir until the greens are wilted. (The amount of broth depends on whether you like your soup thick or with more liquid.)
- Add the rice and cheese rind to the pot and bring to a boil. (If you are using grated cheese, hold off and add the grated cheese after cooking). Lower the heat to a simmer and cook soup uncovered for approximately 25 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed and add, if necessary, the grated cheese.