Walnut Kale Pesto:
- 2 cups packed Olivia’s Organics Baby Kale
- 1/2 fresh lemon - juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast - cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion - diced
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 8 large eggs - whisked
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon butter - for baking dish
- 7 cups day old bread - cubed
- Make the Pesto: To a blender, add the kale, lemon juice, salt, pepper, walnuts and garlic and pulse a few times until combined. Slowly drizzle in the oil while continuing to blend until smooth or desired consistency. Remove pesto to a bowl and stir in the cheese. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add chicken, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper and onion. Cook until chicken is lightly browned. Stir in 1 cup of kale pesto and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, half and half, eggs and cheeses.
- Butter a large baking dish and layer in half the bread cubes, half the chicken mixture and half the liquid mixture. Repeat, making sure all is covered with the liquid.
- Bake the strata for 45 minutes.