- 1 pound pasta (fusilli or similar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound pancetta - cut into small dice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup or more of fresh Kale and Spinach Pesto (see recipe below)
- 1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Kale and Spinach Pesto Recipe:
- 4 cups Olivia’s Organics Baby Spinach
- 4 cups Olivia’s Organics Baby Kale
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a food processor or blender, add the walnuts, half of the oil, and the kale. Blend on low. When the kale is incorporated in with the ingredients, add the spinach and the rest of the oil. Blend on low-medium until you reach desired consistency. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Spoon into a jar and keep refrigerated for up to one week or freeze for up to a month. Topping the jar off with a little olive oil will keep it from oxidizing and help maintain that bright green color!
- In a large pot of boiling and salted water, cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil and cook the pancetta until browned. Add the peas and cook for another few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- When pasta is finished, drain (reserving one cup of pasta water) and add pasta to the sauté pan with the pancetta and peas. Add a half cup of pesto and the Romano cheese. Stir to incorporate all ingredients. Add additional pesto to taste and pasta water if more liquid is needed.