- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion - diced
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 handfuls Olivia’s Organics Baby Kale - chopped small
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated), plus 2 tablespoons for serving
- 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups organic, low salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the chopped kale and continue cooking for a few minutes until kale is wilted. Remove pan from heat and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, add the ground chicken, egg, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Add the cooled kale mixture to the chicken mixture and combine gently; mix well but do not over mix.
- Form the mixture into small round meatballs. For equal-size meatballs, scoop out meat mixture with a 1 inch scoop, then roll between your palms to shape into balls.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Add the meatballs to the pan and cook for 2 minutes until browned on bottom and turn over for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place the meatballs in a serving dish and top with the additional Parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
- Serve with toothpicks.
*Prep ahead and freeze: place uncooked meatballs on a cookie sheet and freeze for an hour. Place in an airtight bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. Meatballs will cook up quickly right out of the freezer.