- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 packed cup Olivia’s Organics Baby Kale - chopped
- 1 (15.5oz) can black beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup cornmeal or polenta
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a sauté pan and add the kale. Cook until wilted. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor or blender, process half of the black beans with the egg and place the blended mixture into a large bowl. To the bowl, add the other half of whole beans, corn, pecans, pepper jack cheese, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, salt, pepper and sautéed kale. Incorporate mixture well and shape into 4 patties.
- Spread the 1/4 cup cornmeal on a plate and lightly coat the burgers with cornmeal on each side to cover.
- Refrigerate the patties for 20 minutes to set.
- Cook the patties in a heated large sauté pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil until browned on both sides, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve with lettuce, tomato and avocado on a whole wheat roll.