- 4 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- 2 cups packed Olivia’s Organics Baby Kale or Chopped Kale – chopped small
- 1 small onion - diced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 quart whole milk
- 8 ounces chickpea flour
- 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas - chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the chopped kale. Cook for several minutes until tender. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with the diced onion and sauté until softened for 5-7 minutes. Add the spices and cook while stirring for a few additional minutes. Add the milk to the pot and when it is simmering whisk in the chickpea flour. Whisk continuously until it begins to boil, then lower the heat. Using a wooden spoon, continue to stir the mixture for approximately 20 minutes until thickened. (Similar to cooking polenta.) Remove from heat.
- Stir in the chopped chickpeas, parsley, butter, salt and cooked kale until they are completely incorporated.
- Place the mixture on a half sheet pan (cookie sheet) and spread with a spatula until smooth. Place in the refrigerator until cool. Once cooled, cut into small squares or 2 inch logs and place on a large sheet pan covered with parchment paper and lightly oiled to prevent sticking. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, turning them over half way.
Recipe for Date Compote
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots - sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 cup pitted dates
Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté for approximately 5 minutes until very soft. Add the sugar and tomato paste and cook while stirring for another 5 minutes. Add the sherry vinegar, dates and enough water to cover the dates. Lower the heat and bring the dates to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes until the dates have melted to a thick jam consistency. Continue to stir to prevent sticking and add water as necessary to prevent the mixture from drying out.