- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk + 1/4 cup
- 2 cups Olivia’s Organics Baby Spinach
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter + 1/4 cup melted
- 1 large egg
- Oatmeal for top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: both flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a blender, blend 1 cup of buttermilk with the spinach.
- Using a stand mixer, combine the sugar, 1/2 cup butter and egg and mix well. Add in the dry ingredients and then add the buttermilk/spinach mixture until just combined. Using a dough hook, kneed for a few minutes. If you do not have a stand mixer, kneed by hand on a floured board.
- Whisk together the 1/4 cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Split dough into two and mold into round loaves. Score each with an X and brush both loaves with the buttermilk butter mixture. Top with oatmeal and bake for 40-50 minutes. After 30 minutes check for doneness by using a toothpick inserted into middle of bread – if done it should come out clean and the bottom should be browned. Brush the bread with additional liquid after 20 minutes if desired.
- Once done, wrap in towel until ready to eat. Serve with butter.