- 2 cups Olivia's Organics Baby Kale
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1/2 lemon - juiced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (8 oz.) mozzarella ball - sliced into 4 rounds
- 1 cup roasted red peppers
- 4 Ciabatta bread rolls
- Unsalted butter for grilling
- Make the pesto: In a blender or food processor, blend the first 6 ingredients. Remove to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice the eggplant (skin on) into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices. Brush both sides of the slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Layer on a sheet pan and roast in oven for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes. They should be lightly browned.
- Assemble the panini: Open the rolls and spread both sides with pesto. Layer on the eggplant, mozzarella and peppers. Heat a grill pan. Butter the rolls, top and bottom and place on the hot grill. Press down on the panini or lay something heavy to help create the grill marks, or use a panini press. Cook until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Refrigerate the leftover pesto and eggplant to use for more panini’s or in another recipe.